The USC School of Social Work and the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) are partnering in a unique media project, an audio storybook on growing up Muslim in the post 9-11 America. Modeled on the successful NPR Series, “This I Believe,” we invite young American Muslims to write in and share their personal credos. We encourage anyone who is interested to contribute, and offer some simple guidelines:
- Your contribution should be between 350 and 500 words, and take around three minutes to read.
- Tell us your story. Consider moments when belief was formed or tested or changed. Be specific, and ground it in the events of your life.
- Focus on your one core belief; make sure your story ties to the essence of your daily life philosophy.
- Be positive. Avoid preaching or editorializing.
- Speak in the first person.
E-mail your contributions to email@example.com, by March 30th, 2007 to enter a $100 Amazon gift certificate raffle. Selected contributors will be invited to record their essays as part of an audio storybook, which will be available as a CD and pod cast. For questions or clarifications, contact Laila Karamally, at Tel: (714) 261-1044 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I will post mine in the following weeks, so you get an idea of what one can write about.